A downloadable zine
This is two different things:
- A one-shot game about going to a potluck, an event with other queer people, for the first time, and literally fighting your anxieties.
- A hack of Bolt with only 6 pages of rules for playing fantasy-themed games, designed for the one-shot.
Both come in the following formats:
- A zine-themed PDF.
- An actual printable zine for each, using 5 pieces of paper printed double-sided for the one-shot and three for the rules. Fold the pages in half and staple them down the middle.
- A screen reader friendly version - I personally am not very familiar with screen readers so let me know if you run into trouble, but they are single column, all images in line with alt text, and headings. The attached images are also in the PDFs with alt text.
The rules as published so far describe violence briefly and without going into details. It is not meant to be literal violence, but it uses the language of violence.
The one-shot game is about coming out, and depending on how it is played, might touch on (internalized) homophobia, transphobia, etc. The game does not mention these themes explicitly, but they're there implicitly and might come upThe game will contain advice on eliding details, according to the comfort level of participants, and some advice on using safety tools to communicate boundaries so everyone has a good time. The TTRPG Safety Toolkit is a more in-depth resource.
Who is this game for?
This game is about the queer experience and is made with queer people in mind. However, if you aren't queer, as long as you're willing to approach the topic respectfully and with consideration for others at the table, you're quite welcome to play it. Doubly so if you haven't quite figured out how you identify yet.
The game is vague enough about exactly what is being referred to that it could be probably be used to represent coming to terms with other aspects of your identity, maybe? If you find yourself relating to this game for other reasons I'd be quite happy for you to play it. If it's something that you can come to view as positive, and a source of power, but which you might be initially unwilling to accept or to be open about, it could fit.
Reusing this game
The standalone rules are suitable for a pretty wide range of games, although they assume a highly co-operative, vaguely fantasy themed game. Like with all Bolt content, both are under a CC BY SA 4.0 license.
If you want to share this online for free I'd prefer you direct people towards the community copies so I can get the validation of seeing someone actually downloaded it, but I'm quite in favour of you printing out some copies and sharing it in physical form.
In order to download this zine you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $10 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Support this zine at or above a special price point to receive something exclusive.
If you're on a limited budget, live somewhere with an unfavourable exchange rate, or otherwise would love to play but can't justify buying it right now, then please take a community copy.
- Full version publishedSep 29, 2020
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.